Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Pine Forest

I like to tell myself that there is always a picture to be had. My job is to find it.

I have driven by this stand of trees almost every day for the past year. There have been a few times that I thought about stopping. Finally, this one particular day, I did stop. But I didn't have my camera with me. Seeing such wonderful light, I decide that I should hurry home and return to take this photograph.

It's title is simply "The Pine Forest"

[Nikon D300, Sigma 10 - 20mm @ 20mm, ISO 200, 1/13 sec, tripod mounted, ND filter]



Pine needles beneath my feet. A warm late afternoon sun on my face. Summer fading away.
Few green plants remain, reaching for light and warmth, desperately wanting to hang on beyond the changing season.

The sweet smell of pine filling the air. Bird songs echo, carried in the windy breeze.
They mask the nearly silent crunch of needles underfoot.

I feel peace here.
Alone, I embrace the solitude.

And I am warmed by the quiet comfort one can only get when surrounded by beings such as these.
My big brothers watching over me.

***

Let me know what YOU see. Comments are always welcome!
[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. ]

As a brief aside, I expect that I'll be updating this blog about every 3 days or so. At least once a week anyway! You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings. Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. The lighting almost makes those trees look like birches. I can see myself trekking through that forest on a warm fall day. I wish I could create a mood like this in my own photographs.
    - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo speaks of many contrasts: solitude and solidarity, sunlight and shadow. I am struck by the stripped down nakedness of the trees, their vulnerabitiy and endurance. They stand in their separateness creating one forest all oriented towards the same warmth and light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mark -
    thanks for the wonderful comment. Keep shooting man - you'll get there. And the journey is full of wonder too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. N -
    what a beautiful expression of the scene! You've pulled out some new themes for me to look at when I view this shot. And I thank you for that! It is wonderful how the experience of different people viewing a photo can add meaning. It amply illustrates how photography can be a dynamic art.

    ReplyDelete