Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Resolute

"A wise man who stands firm is a statesman, a foolish man who stands firm is a catastrophe.” [attributed to Adlai Stevenson]
Looking at this photo, I wonder which of the two is represented.


[ISO 200, f/22, 6 sec, 16mm, ND filter]


Certainly there is a sense of struggle between opposing forces here. Many of us can well remember the times that we've been asked to stand firm against a rushing tide of opposing thought or opinion. In some ways the test of our resolve became an important step in our growth towards maturity. Holding fast to our principles may sometimes feel like we are pushing against the tide. When the tide is a threat to justice, it is important that we act as the statesman standing firm.

The tree against the rushing current. Water eroding the soil base. A courageous act of defience? Or a stubborn person hanging on to an idea in contradiction to the flow of enlightened opinion? Two enemies embraced by their conflicting character?

A river, by its very nature needs to move. Otherwise, it risks becoming a stagnant pond, running shallow and drying up. A tree needs to stand firm. It's roots solidly embracing the soil on which it's nourished. Otherwise, it risks being uprooted by even the merest wind.

Sticking to a decision that goes against the public opinion?
The foolish man trying to hold back the tides of change?

Perhaps its just another struggle, another story of life and death, of predator and prey.

Let me know what YOU see. Comments are always welcome!
[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. ]

As a brief aside, I expect that I'll be updating this blog about every 3 days or so. At least once a week anyway! You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings. Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. I like many of your photographs. Then I saw this one and... 0 comment, really? I think it's a beautiful scene and you captured it very well. I particularly like the cold blue tones that I think go well with the desolation of the scene. One wonders if the tree actually is dead. Regardless, it stands proud, seemingly unaffected. I love what you had to say about it. I root for the tree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jérôme, your kind words are most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ηello wοuld yoou mind sharing whіch blog platform yoս're using?

    I'm lookiing tߋ stsrt my own blog in tɦe neаr future bսt I'm haνing
    a hard time deciding bettween BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution аnd Drupal.

    Thhe reason ӏ ask is becaսse yоur design and style seemѕ
    differrent theen mօst blogs and I'm loߋking foг sߋmething completely
    unique. P.S Apologies fօr getting off-topic bbut
    I hаd to ask!

    my website; clash of clans

    ReplyDelete