Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Simple Iris

One of the things I like about macro (close-up) photography is that it often reveals the wonder and the beauty which exists in many of the common things we share our world with. I took this closeup of a simple iris that was part of a bouquet of flowers my wife brought into the house on an otherwise cloudy day.

[ f/22, 5 sec, 105mm, ISO 200 ]
The Simple Iris

2 meditations on the simple iris

1.

so distinct two colors do emerge
first yellow out of blue does surge
until at once it does dissolve
to white then blue it then evolves
flashing brilliant in its turn
from where it comes it does return

like two lovers sharing hearts
while each retains defining parts
accepting what sets each apart

knowing that it gives them strength
this bold embrace of difference

2.

it isn't just the clouds
on days that keep
the sun from shining

instead

the sun cannot always shine
when it has exhausted
for just awhile

it's reserve of yellow
to paint each simple iris

how can i
so selfish mourn
its temporary absence

in the presence
of such brilliant
sacrifice


[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing.]

I try to update this blog about once a week. You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

  1. Three pieces of artistic beauty in a single post, Mario. This was a treat for me today. Thank you! By the way... the first blossom in my iris bed opened this morning. What a lovely coincidence. I know my photos will not near the wonder of yours, but I'm gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these meditations are astounding in their beauty. They are both equally thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really, wow, stopped me in my tracks. so beautiful. the photo is exquisite and the second chapter in particular spoke to me. ahh thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo and beautiful words! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both, equally awesome :) makes one think out loud too.! Enjoyed your poetry for sure!

    My Potluck Post. It's Random This Time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful message,

    agree, we do allow some absence of the sun,
    life is better when we have some regrets.

    A++

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love irises and I am eargerly awaiting the opening of mine which are in bud now. Your photo and yellow and blue meditations (poems) are brilliant. You just made my day and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remarkable image! I love the level of detail you got with the macro lens. There's so much texture we otherwise miss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this "bold embrace of difference", and how the yellow fades into the blue so well...Nature is inspiring and so are your poems : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a striking image, Mario, and two lovely meditations to go along with it. Love the image of the sun being exhausted and needing a respite from painting all the flowers. A wonderful pretext to be grateful for cloudy days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I love the first one. :) Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful poems and picture:) I tought the picture was of some sort of nice fabric:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The picture is amazing, you have quite an eye and definitely an awesome way with words as well. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.
    http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful photo, Mario! You always find the extraordinary in the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of these--poignant. And I love the ending of the second one. Fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  16. not only is this composition original, i really like the photography alot too! thanks for coming by ny friend, was a bit busy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shot Mario, looks like a wave of color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful reminder of spring and the bloom of life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing is more beautiful than a flower close up. On to the task of discribing God's handiwork is very hard but yours is well done. Thanks for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photo and poem, hon. It looks like our state wildflower, the Louisiana iris.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very lovely they are. :)


    Luna


    http://lunawitch15.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the image - simple colors, shapes and lines which you have helped me see as quite extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this is really beautiful. I was really moved by the image and accompanying first poem/meditation, so lovely. thanks for sharing, this brightened my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photo and I enjoyed your poems. The photo reminds me of the artwork of Georgia O'Keefe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous image and a nice turn at the end of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautifully intertwined words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! love the beautiful inage of the iris. and the poem is wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to try reading the words, then looking at the picture while listening to beautiful music. It sounds delicious, doesn't it? It's going on my weekend bucket list. :D

    ReplyDelete