Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Solitude

I took this photo at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.The prison is no longer in operation but remains open as a 'prison museum' and as a place of historical interest. I was struck by the fact that many of the cells had a 'skylight' as this photo shows. And I began to wonder about the person sitting there day after day in the cell.


[ f/22, 14mm, 1.3 sec, ISO 200 ]
Solitary

alone
is to be without a dream
to give me hope

alone
is to be where the light shines
only what light there is
shines not on what i have
but illuminates what i have lost

alone
is to know that tomorrow
and every day
will be as empty as today

alone
is to forget
the faces of loved ones
no longer able
to remember
how their smiles looked

alone
is to be haunted
by an ever fading memory
that slowly leaves
my clenched fist
as i try in vain
to hold it still

alone
is to hear my heart beating
in an endless solo
never to feel the harmony
of another keeping pace

alone
i am
a - l - one

[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing.]

I try to update this blog about once a week. You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

  1. That's scary, depressing and intriguing all at the same time, which means: well done. Beautiful (starkly) and a very impressive photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this dramatic photo you've captured the emotion that the poem clearly conveys. Both are evocative and resonant, Mario. Another talent-filled post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a haunting photo...inspired a great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the image can lead some unhappy imagination but words are absolutely elegantly profound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "PhotoDiction" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope you like the image I featured,and I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/06/sites-to-see_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horribly scary cell! It looks like it's fron a third world country. That could, indeed, suck the hope out of someone. As for the poem, I loved the second to the last stanza about the heart beating solo. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mario-the actual photo and the picture you draw of loneliness in your poem are equally disturbing. Have you ever read Chekhov's short story, "The Bet"? Hard to imagine how that kind of isolation can lead to anything but despair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, I love how you capture the photo with your poetry. This kind of isolation is difficult to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mario, this is a devastating photo. All art, worthy of the name, evokes intense emotion. This upset me a lot and that's a good thing. Have you considered haiku with your photos? Drop by my place on Sunday when we post creative things. Perhaps I can repost your work there some day. Hint. Hint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a powerful image and poem that it took my breath away. I cannot imagine the depth of the loneliness you depict.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the photo and the poem gives me chills. Outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It truly must have been awful to be so alone. Your poem captures this so very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the image of light illuminating what is lost! A disturbing but beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. powerful and disturbing!
    i love the imagery you put forward!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!...First the photo...I love/hate when photos can make me feel so viscerally upon seeing them. Your photo did just that. As for your words....simply breathtaking! I will be coming back to this one again....

    ReplyDelete
  16. The photo and poem bring back some pretty bad memories, which makes me all the gladder that my life is so blessed now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch. The poem certainly brings home the message of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mario, I really enjoy reading your posts and your blog overall,so I've given you an award at my blog! *Congrats*

    You can stroll over to my latest post to pick it up. Have a great day!:)

    ReplyDelete