Friday, July 8, 2011

The Assertion

I haven't been updating as often as I would like and I apologize for that. Like the old cliche says, life does get in the way sometimes. Anyway - hopefully, I will resume a regular semblance of "sort-of-weekly" postings. I took this photo on a little getaway that my wife and I took to Lake placid about a month ago. I was struck by the grandeur of the landscape as seen from the heights of Whiteface Mountain. And like many poets before me, I felt compelled to write about love :)

[ f/14, 1/80 sec, 16mm, ISO 200, GND filter ]
Lake Placid

what love
created the majesty and beauty
i see before me?

what hand painted
the richness of blue
that so closely matches
the eyes you turn towards me?

what kindness sends the gentle sun
to burn away the morning mist
reveals the mountains
and lakes below
like tomorrow's promise
of happiness in tow?

what hope
against the world's creation
have i
to fill your heart
with longing for the beauty
that a life together
would to us bring?

yet -
is it not enough to say
that the view you see below
cannot contain
the breadth of love
that i would have you know?

[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing.]

I try to update this blog about once a week. You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

  1. Mario~ Your photo offers a view rare and inaccessible to most of us. Utterly breathtaking. And the love poem? Well, who wouldn't be honored and delighted to be the recipient of such affection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so beautiful, image and words. my favorite:
    what hand painted
    the richness of blue
    that so closely matches
    the eyes you turn towards me?

    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo reminds me instantly how we narrow our own vision to the pettiness of every day, instead of looking further, out, beyond to the appreciation of the world that encompasses us. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo, Mario. And the poem is filled with warmth and love. What a lucky lady who receives this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo you have here Mario. and the lady love is real lucky immersed with all of your love. Great!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one hopeless romantic to another, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean - life is definitely getting in the way at the moment.

    Still, you picked a great picture and poem to return with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Poem to go with a beautiful picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dreamy image/photo shot, thanks for the tour.
    happy potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picture, beautiful poem, beautiful love. Superbly done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful post, Mario. I haven't been to Whiteface Mountain since I was fifteen and do appreciate that you've posted a photo.

    I like the way you moved from the macro view to the micro view of your inner world and heart. Nicely done. The last stanza is a the perfect close. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes that's the best I can do too--a weekly posting.

    I'm taken by the endless vistas of mountains in the background of your photo. And on first look, I thought it was a photo of the Great Wall of China! I have never seen Lake Placid. But it's a gorgeous scene there you captured.

    Your words are so beautiful and filled with questioning and admiration. Feels very spiritual to me.

    Gayle ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. A scene that inspires one to pour out feelings of gratitude...to nature, to the one we love...sigh.
    A beautiful gesture in a beautiful poem,Mario.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What serenity and romance in this poem. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Powerful words! If I'm not mistaken, there's something deeper going on here! I love the last stanza especially.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant use of rhetorical question.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking to poets rally.
    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fourth stanza blew me away. If this poem is not a testament of love I don't know what is. Also the photo is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When a heart has chosen a lady fair,
    Not much in nature will compare,
    For if her eyes are as blue as that sky,
    The sky will be forgotten by and by,
    And if the scene was as beautiful as that,
    He'd still love her, can't change that.

    Beautiful photo and beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your words and the scenery that inspired it all.. beautiful.

    Thanks for joining in the Poetry Potluck WK 43 which I am hosting for the first time… hope you have liked it too…. and wish to see you again…

    Shashi
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/07/whispers-cuckoos-song-and-smell-of-love.html
    At Twitter @VerseEveryDay

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely gorgeous, incredibly romantic I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful scene. You capture it well. I hope you had a wonderful trip. Loved the poem, too. I'm a sucker for love poems!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you are a landscape painter with words, thanks for writing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this wonderful photo and wrapping it in such a lovely and lyrical love ode.

    Hope you will check out one (or all) of my poems:
    http://joelhall.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/ode-to-a-gunslinger/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful picture and poem--like bodhirose, I also was reminded of the Great Wall.

    ReplyDelete