Thursday, March 8, 2012

Winter Trees

I took this photo almost 5 years ago. I'd like to think that the poem has been 5 years in the making. And in some ways it has. I wrote and discarded way more frequently than these trees shed and re-grew their leaves. I hope you like both the photo and the poem.

[ f/11, 1/320, 45mm, ISO 100 ]
Winter Trees

it is a cruel lesson
that winter brings -

demanding survival
by forcing us
to shed all our facades

until we stand
clothed only
in our strongest truths

ready
to face the coming storms

knowing
that the more
we put around us

the larger target
we provide
for the winds
to rage against

it is good sometimes
to stand alone

and when the season
and its storms have passed

we renew our strengths
and sprout our hopes again


All poetry and photos are copyright and the property of Mario Cerroni. Please do not copy or use without permission.

[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing.]
I try to update this blog about once a week. I'm not always successful :) You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. I had never thought of it that way. It seems to me almost like a purging season. If I could click the like button twice I would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First....Yes I do adore this picture. You are a wonderful photographer :) This piece resonates with me especially these lines...


    until we stand
    clothed only
    in our strongest truths


    Great scribe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "clothed only
    in our strongest truths"
    Beautiful

    I adore this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite good, I really connected with this one.

    ReplyDelete