Sunday, August 26, 2012

if leaves were instruments


The photo below is NOT a composite or a creation of Photoshop. It was taken this past Friday in Wakefield, Quebec where various trees were decorated with assorted objects celebrating an art and music festival. This particular tree had a number of musical instruments hanging among its limbs. I always thought that I could hear the trees singing in the forest. Now I see they can have accompaniment too :)

[ f/9, 1/100, 70mm, ISO 200 ]

if leaves were instruments

if leaves were instruments
then all the trees
would sound their majesty
with each and every breath of wind

their songs
would echo in the forest
race down our urban streets

where we would welcome
background music

and lullabyes
with which to sleep

*

it is to hear
their gentle songs
that i open windows
when upon my bed

hear leaves rustling
sending comfort
in their embrace

and there i dream
escaping torments
big and small

with worries lost
in soothing sounds
of nature's perfect instruments

All poetry and photos are copyright and the property of Mario Cerroni. Please do not copy or use without permission.
[ Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing.]

I try to update this blog about once a week. I'm not always successful :) You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful write and a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley wrote in Ode to The West Wind..."Make me thy lyre, even as the forest is"...your picture is a great visualisation of that.lovely write as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. If one sleeps with one's windows open, one hears wonderful natural sounds. Unfortunately few people do this any more. I love the forest songs in the daytime though. And I loved the picture you used as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a sight I would love to see! How remarkable - a kind of visual metaphor, which you have pursued in the words of your poem. I also find the sound of the wind in the leaves outside my window comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is SO WONDERFUL! I LOVE the photo and the idea of hanging instruments in the trees......your poem also makes me think of the Ringing Cedars of Russia, a forest where the trees are heard to sing.........loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Percussion and strings might be a bit of a prob for the wind itself, but maybe the odd squirrel could help out :-)
    Wonderful fun with great phrases like 'would sound their majesty'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, an amazing photo! And your poem bring the pic to life so well...love the idea of musical trees being the soundtrack to our lives. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this on so many levels--I loved the premise and the flow and the peacefulness of it. I felt embraced--

    ReplyDelete
  9. These leaves really do sing tunes to calm our very soul. Awesome poetry here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful poem. Trees play the zephyr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your creative picture ..if leaves were were musical instruments, this would liven our days of music ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy the concept of windows being for more than sight. Well put, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mario,

    It's been a long while since I've seen you on BC, so I thought I'd drop by for a visit. I'm glad I did. Such wonderful photos and poems, as always. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice photo! All are on tree. Why this is situation?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, i read уour blog occasionаlly and i own
    a similаr one and i ωas just ωondеring if you get a lot
    of spam feedback? If so how do you stoр it, any plugin or аnything уοu can recоmmend?
    I get so much lаtеlу it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

    my page herbal incense for sale

    ReplyDelete