Sunday, April 21, 2013

where mirrors don't exist

I've always been attracted to old derelict buildings. As I grow older the attraction seems to be getting stronger. Maybe it's because my ageing body feels a certain empathy for how they have withstood time and are reluctantly surrendering to it. I started to write a poem about this old building's spirit and the memories it must hold of better days. Somehow, the focus changed. One of these days I might begin to feel like I am in control of my writing.

[ f/8, 1/100, 55mm, ISO 100 ]

reluctant surrender


at times i look within
where mirrors don't exist

climbing high atop a tree
seeing farther than i now see

then run upon a mountain trail
never thinking i could fail

yes
where mirrors don't exist
my dreams can still persist

writing furious through the night
best seller lists with no re-writes

finding treasures that most had missed
fame, wealth, and other myths

at times i look within
where mirrors don't exist

ignore my ageing body's list
the things that i cannot dismiss

and though relentless 
time persists
i will find places
where mirrors don't exist

All poetry and photos are copyright and the property of Mario Cerroni. Please do not copy or use without permission.

Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing. I try to update this blog frequently. I'm not always successful :) You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

  1. My favorite places have no mirrors:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent, Mario. Where there are no mirrors anything is still very possible; and where there are no mirrors dreams can still thrive...............and even old homes can still think themselves young (and remember).

    ReplyDelete
  3. a full and engrossing piece - the mirror idea is complex and powerful

    ReplyDelete
  4. a winding, threading drama of a poem - love the repetition, the internal rhymes, the music and most of all the complexity of that central idea. I find mountains to be full of mirrors - better than mere glass, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The image is just stunning, and the words... yes, they remind me how the body grows old, perhaps, but heart stays young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. intriguing.the fear of mirrors operates potently on many different levels.wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avoiding mirrors is not really necessary for denial. It's just less painful than plastic surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mirrors can be deceptive, never really revealing what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am attracted to aging buildings, specifically barns. I wrote a poem once comparing one to an aging movie star (Norma Desmond). I am glad to be introduced to you through Poets United.

    ReplyDelete