Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Cruel Destiny

This photo was taken while roaming one of the beaches in Australia. Of course, it could be on any beach, in any location by the sea.

 [ f/14, 1/800, 70mm, ISO 100 ]

as you look on

i reach my hand toward the earth
and cast your gaze downward
towards the mud and stones

long ago

some made houses from these
then filled them with warmth
and made them homes

yet we, you and i,

walk aimlessly over them
ignoring their pleas
that claw against our feet

and as you watch
i continue to stoop

pick up a handful

and toss them
into the waiting sea

i am too far
for their splash
to wash over me

All poetry and photos are copyright and the property of Mario Cerroni. Please do not copy or use without permission.

Click on "Comments" below to view/add comments to this post. Tell me what you see in the photo. Or what struck you in my writing. I try to update this blog frequently. I'm not always successful :) You can check the 'Blog Archive' links on the right side to see previous photos and posts. You are always welcome to go back through the archives to view and comment on previous postings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. what an intriguing verse...i like the contrast between those that made houses of them (in respect for their usefulness) and the now that they become more distraction or just something to walk over....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautifully peaceful verse, I think. There is nothing like a walk by the sea to inspire a person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo. And your wrods really enhance my appreciation of it. The poem left me with a sort of yearning - to be at the beach, in some ways to be like the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a rock lover, I tend to walk looking down. At the beach my pockets bulge with them. I love the thought of homes being made and warmed by them.........and love your closing lines which hint at a broader meaning than the words alone reveal. Beautiful, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved collecting rocks as a child and I still love to roam the seaside and look but I usually leave them there now. I like your thoughts in this piece about the making of home. Comforting verse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece shows such excellent control of writing - each image or description builds on the next and the final stanza is very strongly felt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done. The flow is superb, as is the imagery. Very well penned. I love the last stanza. Very powerful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice rocks nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also go to see this weblog on regular basis to take updated
    from latest information.

    Feel free to visit my website - breast reduction

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read your blog & it was really informative & helpful for us. thanks.

    ReplyDelete